Monday, June 09, 2008

ny state of mind

It's been exactly three weeks since I arrived. Unsurprisingly, it feels much, much shorter than that. Time really has no sense here, this urban bermuda, teasing us with these silly trains and cars in yellow so that we might think we have what it takes to figure out the system. Factor in the social mindset which states that by being punctual actually meant that you were "almost late," hardly anyone wins. Cat's game.

Anyway, I think it's time that I put some of my musings about the city onto paper before my brain explodes (or forgets, whichever comes first):

  • My timing couldn't have been any more perfect to have come in the worst possible season. Due to the intense humidity, I might have to start wearing deodorant for the first time in my life. 
  • Mexican and Korean food (at least in Manhattan) are crap. Everything else, fantastic.
  • Working from home has been nice, what can I say?
  • I don't think I'll ever willingly set foot in Times Square ever again.
  • Before rushing out the door, I always check for my iPod before my keys. And...
  • ...it's been suffocating not being able to sing outrageously to a song like I did within the comfortable confines of my car. Sing like no one's listening - yea right, try doing that in a packed subway train. The streets are a little more reasonable.
  • There is so much beauty and inspiration here.
  • But so much pain, kept silent and hardly shared.
  • I saw a kid fall asleep in her mother's arms in the subway today. The kid actually had the most peaceful smile as she slept. Certain moments are by invitation-only, and this particular one happened to be for me. It blew me away.
  • Despite Manhattan being one of the most densely populated regions in the world, I'm beginning to understand the loneliness behind it all.
  • Whenever I'm in an unfamiliar place, I've still been instinctively gauging the sun's position in the sky or the north star before reading street signs to determine what direction I'm facing. I've gotten pretty squinty-eyed as a result. 
  • It's a strange feeling to hear the lonesome sound of my cheering for the Lakers in sports bars that are mostly New England-fan ridden. Odd, I usually had someone to high-five. This must be what a Clippers fan feels like back in California.
  • It's true - you can find anything and everything you want here.

Everything you need? I suppose only time will tell. Let's hope it doesn't settle for punctuality.

1 comment:

lindur said...

ah, working from home. i'm sure it's a lot nicer in manhattan than in santa clara. :)