Thursday, August 06, 2009

e.e. #10: learning about how a song came to be

As the story goes. Gwenyth Paltrow's father had died suddenly from complications resulting from pneumonia. Gwenyth, inconsolable, returns from the hospital, completely covered in tears. And Chris doesn't know what else to do but to ask her, desperately, "What can I do, please tell me what I can do for you." She looks up at him and pleads very simply, "Just hold me. Because you're the only thing that can fix me right now."

Chris Martin wrote "Fix You" the very next day. And so it came to be not only one of the most highly acclaimed rock ballads of all time, but a personal anthem to so many of us for as long as we need it.











3 comments:

liz song mandell said...

o wow.. i didn't know that was the story behind 'fix you.'

it's profound how the authentic & creative expression of such personal encounters can affect so many lives.

i like this e.e.

Andy Chon said...

I though of a good e.e. : you go to the bathroom and really unload, only to find that when you wipe, it's already all clean. super dry poop is the best.

Roy said...

i love/hate you andrew.