Monday, March 27, 2006

song of the week #1

Music takes up a huge chunk in my life. Good music is a lot like what they say about love -- it isn't really music until you give it away. Or in this case, share it with the public. Despite the really bad analogy, I figure that I might as well broadcast my musical tastes on this dang thing, which by doing so, might strike a chord (no pun intended) in someone to cause them to say, "Hey, that's pretty good." Or at the very least, provide a home for these songs in someone's ipod. But hey, good music should be revealed to and appreciated by as many people as possible, right?

Couple disclaimers before I start: my musical tastes are pretty limited and specific, so whatever I put up here in the coming weeks might never appeal to the majority of you. In which case, you can save yourselves a couple precious megs of hard drive space and skip downloading the song. Secondly, I rarely listen to FM radio (im a CD-junkie), so in the event that I post up a song that has been up on the Billboard 100 for the past three months, stick it to the man.

This week's song: Jinny Kim - Ophelia.

Who's Jinny? I dunno. I randomly found her stuff from someone's xanga the other day, but boy, am I ever glad that I did. She's an up-and-coming indie artist who's recorded her album with Koo Chung's (pretty well known singer-songwriter-producer on the east coast) label. And she's got a voice. As per her bio, you really can hear hints of Sarah McLachlan and Fiona Apple in her. But I use the McLachlan comparison sparingly.. there's only one other person in the world who I would compare McLachlan to. Anyways, this will be pretty much be the extent to my reviews, at least for now.

Alluding to Hamlet's Ophelia, who was apparently a woman troubled by her deep capacity to feel and love, "Ophelia" is about a disillusioned girl who found life not to be what she expected.

No comments: