Thursday, January 22, 2004

Let's see, school has started. For the last time.

Developmental psychology, social psych, EPS 80 and music 20A. The finals for most of my classes are given the week before finals season actually starts, which is really really great news. In almost every semester for the past three and a half years, I've had a really early final and a really late final. The huge gap in between is just agonizing.

Music has been expectantly fun, especially because Slum and Andy are in the class too. So far, we learned how to wave our arms around to different meters like how conductors do, count beats and sing the Do-Re-Me's. Yesterday, the three of us got together to do the homework and completed it in less than five minutes. I wish it was like that for all my classes.

A thought: second semesters are always so different from first semesters, especially if it's the graduating semester. There's a different feel, smell, taste.. a different perspective. Right after we check our last semester grades on telebears, we regard the second semester as the second chance which we use to vow to 'do better' and 'work harder.' How wonderful it would be to hold that same kind of mentality towards things other than school.. things that simply much more important. People, friends, family. God.

If you've seen the movie "With Honors," there's lesson in there that's so true. The main character is Harvard senior who desperately wants to graduate with magna cum laude, but needs to produce an exceptional senior thesis paper. He spends all his time working on his thesis that it consumes him and hurts his relationships with others. Later on, he's enlightened from a bum (go watch the movie) about the things that actually matter: it's not school, but it's life from which you need to graduate with honors.

Although the thought of me graduating college with honors is absolutely laughable, I'd hope to one day be pleased with the way I've lived my life. Not that I should live timidly or so cautiously that I don't step on people's toes, but rather that I do the right things and make decisions without regret and with peace at heart. Thankfully, living my life to the fullest is something I shouldn't worry about, because it's been taken care of by the work of Christ that which already fills lives fully and overabundantly. The gold star sticker for the diploma of life is pasted on already, you can say. I just hope I would remind myself of the chains from which I set free, which would be a motivator like no other to live this life according to His light.

What a tangent. But soli Deo gloria.

No comments: