Tuesday, May 11, 2004

I just took my last class (music 20a) that I would ever take at Berkeley. Today was the day all the groups gave their final presentations, and me, Andy and Slum (all illogically dressed in hawaiian shirts) presented a rendition of Puffy's "I'll Be Missing You." Slum flowed the words while me and Andy provided the beat off the guitars and backed up the chorus. Slum's lyrics were noteworthy, so I'll immortilize most of it here:

verse
How can I forget the first day of class
So nervous, felt like broken glass
No sight singing skills, I had no flows
Christina Ahn they got to know that
Music aint what it seems to be
So much homework I came to see
Even though its done and nothings left
Through this class I fulfilled my breadth

Professor Ahn can't wait to see
If you'd teach another class for me
Reminisce sometime of sight singing exams
All the mistakes I made, I was like damn
But it was real feelings hard to conceal
Can't imagine all the love I feel
Give anything for more music class
I know you grading this pass no pass

chorus
Every beat we clap, every sight we sing
Every single day, music 20a
I'll be missing you
Thinking of the grade, when you gave an A
What a class to take, music 20a
I'll be missing you


-song ends on ugly yet intriguing minor chord-

True, the workload got really really annoying at times, but I think most people in the class today felt sentimental and appreciative for various reasons. I liked how the class was so supporting with their applauds and woots at the end of each presentation, whether it was good or bad. Prof Ahn played a song for us on the piano, and afterwards, gave her last words and final goodbyes.

And so, the last day of school really felt like the last day of school. Growing up can feel solemn at times.

No comments: