Thursday, May 13, 2004

Says Shaq in postgame interview: "One lucky shot deserves another." And like that, the 17 game home streak at SBC center snapped and the Lakers came up like the champions they are.

Despite collapsing during most of the fourth quarter, despite Shaq and Malone in foul trouble, despite Duncan's miracle shot with Shaq's hand in his face in the last second, a quiet but confident Fisher stepped up and delivered a miracle shot of his own.

Four-tenths of a second was all it took to destroy the celebratory mood at SBC center. Once I saw that ball leave Fisher's hands to swish into the net milliseconds later, my first impulse was to scream my head off, and I did. Then my second impulse was to bear-hug Billy, who was also screaming his head off, as hard as I could. I did and it felt so dang good. I don't remember ever being so happy. You Laker fans know the feeling I'm talking about.

One of THE BEST basketball games I have ever seen in my life. Consider the tremendous circumstances: conference semis, series tied, game five, on the brink of losing it and facing the possibility to come back to San Antonio for game seven should the Lakers win at home. I'm so glad that's off my chest. Fisher, your performance tonight more than makes up for how you played in games 1 and 2. Thank you.

The fight isn't over yet. Could the Lakers close it out at home? Could they win four-in-a-row straight, an over-ambitious hope that was brushed away as foolish and impossible when the Lakers were down 0-2?

We'll find out Saturday. 7:30pm, TNT. GO LAKERS!!!

No comments: