Monday, April 10, 2006

song of the week #3

And so my publicity of Korean singer-songwriters continues. Here's Susie Suh (pronounced "soo"). I'm glad I was introduced to her.


I checked out her gig in Hollywood yesterday night with the Pok. Very cool, mellow, sip-your-beer-and-tap-your-foot-to-the-music kind of night. Many would characterize her voice as "hauntingly-beautiful." I agree. I left with a tremendous amount of respect for her ability to perform at a studio-recording level and yet make it seem so effortless. I think that's the absolute test of true talent.. performing well in an environment where you can't depend on the take-two's.

She used a really cool effects pedal that would harmonize to a third above and a third below the note that's sung which, of course, gives the effect of background singers joining her in the chorus. I've got to check out one of those!

It did seem like she rushed through her set a little bit (seven songs in thirty-five minutes). I had hoped that she would tell a story behind the song before playing it, or at least explain what it's about because I'm always interested in how songs came to be. But we got nothing more than, "here's a song about my mom" and one-line explanations like that. But hey, it's her show, she's signed with Sony, and she can do whatever she wants. But after chatting with her a couple minutes afterwards, she really is a cool person.

Susie Suh - Light On My Shoulder

This song is about being dependent on someone for the right reasons.

No comments: